Monday 17 December 2012

Day 17 - 'Lonely Christmas Call' - George Jones

Today's song comes courtesy of the 'Plaza on the River' where I am staying the night with my Company Secretary. As I write this I overlook the Thames with a fantastic view of the Houses of Parliament and the river, down past the London Eye and beyond to the City. Breathtaking.

George is an ex-husband of Tammy Wynette, of course, and considered one of the kings of Country 'n' Western, so you won't be surprised to hear that this song tells the sad story of how George's woman up and left him and the kids a year ago last Christmas.

'If you could see their little faces / As round the tree they take their places / They're looking for the biggest gift of all''

Mr Jones don't say but, this being a prime slab of maudlin C'n'W, I assume she probably left with George's best friend, likely taking his 'orse and dawg with her. You'll be in tears...one way or another.
 
Oh, by the way, don't bother telling Lady B about the hotel stay, my Secretary and Mrs are one and the same!










No comments:

Post a Comment