Monday 24 December 2012

Day 24 - 'Merry Christmas, Darling' - The Carpenters

I suspect that bucket over by the sink is for the schmaltz and hanging on the back of the door on a rusty nail is a shrift which is probably shorter than most, but - hey! - it's Christmas Eve, and although your eyes may roll around your head when Karen C sings about the 'logs on the fire filling her with desire', you can't deny she sings like an Angel.

And for anyone who's been in this situation - and I know I have - when she sings 'I've just one wish on this Christmas Eve / I wish I were with you' it just breaks your heart.

Sadly, the video shows how ill Ms Carpenter was to become, and it's uncomfortable viewing in many ways but you can always close your eyes and just listen to that voice. I'm moved enough to not repeat the, in any case, factually incorrect 'joke' about Karen and Mama Cass.

It's Christmas Eve, be with your loved one(s) and count your blessings.



No comments:

Post a Comment